There are some great high school basketball players in Florida, and of course you’ve probably heard of Gators commit Kenny Boynton (PG, 6’2″, 2009) and Brandon Knight (SG, 6’3″, 2010) but here is the Miami Herald’s rundown of recent action:
This list is basketball only, the original story includes other sports as well.
• Brandon Knight, Pine Crest, boys’ basketball: Knight had a game-high 35 points, including a spectacular put-back dunk, and nine assists to lead reigning class 3A state champions over district rival American Heritage.
• Kenny Boynton Jr., American Heritage, boys’ basketball: Boynton erupted for 28 of his team-high 32 points in the second half but Patriots’ comeback attempt fell short against Pine Crest.
• Bryan Bynes, Boyd Anderson boys’ basketball: Bynes tied teammate Martavious Irving for a game-high 18 points in home victory against reigning 5A state champion Dillard.
• David Jean Jacques, Blanche Ely, boys’ basketball: Jacques had a team-high 21 points in a road victory against previously undefeated Deerfield Beach.
• Alicia DeVaughn, South Broward, girls’ basketball: DeVaughn had a triple double — 26 points, 24 rebounds and 12 blocks in victory against Cypress Bay.
• Lauren McGraw, Dillard, girls’ basketball: McGraw had a career-high 19 points, including five three-pointers, in road victory over previously unbeaten Nova.
• Sandra Garcia, American Heritage, girls’ basketball: Garcia had a game-high 26 points and 18 rebounds in victory over reigning 5A state champion Baron Collier.
• Savian Buchanan, Fort Lauderdale, boys’ basketball: Buchanan had a team-high 20 points in win against Olympic Heights.
• Erica Wheeler, Parkway Academy, girls’ basketball: Wheeler had 17 points and six assists to help reigning 3A state champions beat Community School of Naples on the road.